This is a copy of the report I gave to the Dutch American Group. The Dutch American group is an affiliation of institutes, societies and other organizations that do research, educate, or preserve source materials pertaining to the history and role of the Dutch in America. Members include Mike Vandewoude, Suzanne Roff, Marilyn Douglas, Charles Gehring, Dirk Mouw, Vince & Lisa Akers, James Brumm, Mary Woodfill Park, Andrew Terhune, Charlie & Marilyn Westerfield, Russell L. Gasero, and Carolyn Leonard.
Summary report by outgoing president Carolyn B. Leonard on the Dutch Cousins of Kentucky Gathering 8-11 September 2017 at the Kentucky Historical Center in Frankfort.
- Attendance – 120 registered from 18 states.
- Mailing list for weekly round robin, and annual newsletter – 580 families (international) plus Facebook page with 250 members.
- 7 Heritage Tables set up – including family history, DAR, historical documents.
- 57 different Dutch family names represented, with surname banners on tables.
- Photographer took 495 Photos of the event, available on CD (includes separate family name groups).
- Excursion to the reenactment of the 1781 Long Run massacre, many Dutch families involved (many killed), reenactment by the www.paintedstonesettlers.org. Committee appointed to get historical markers placed at site of Westerfield massacre near Louisville.
- Report by chairman Banta on placing historical markers at former Conewago Colony site near Gettysburg Pennsylvania.
- Stories about our group published in Kentucky Bluegrass Roots this year (Kentucky History Society magazine).
- Update on the growing Low Dutch Archives collection in KY at Harrodsburg Historical Research Library.
- DAR registrar available to anyone wanting info or guidance on genealogy or preparing applications.
- Speaker and handouts presented on DNA, but were unable to collect samples as planned due to Hurricane damage at Houston FTDNA site.
- Worship service in restored 1800 Old Mud Meetinghouse near Harrodsburg led by Russell Gasero, of NJ, Archivist, Reformed Church of America.
- Discussion of a possible bus trip to Conewago and New Jersey following the 2019 Gathering. Russell Gasero volunteered to help if so.
- UPDATED Website www.DutchCousins.org
- New officers installed for 2018-2019; Charlie Westerfield of Louisville, President.
Editor, Dutch cousins of Kentucky